StartupBlink has launched the Startup Ecosystem Ranking Report 2019 that now ranks 1,000 cities and 100 countries worldwide and is available for download here.
Moscow is one of the world’s top centers in high-tech and creative industries. The metropolis has a developed economy, a comfortable urban environment and a mature innovative ecosystem in which boldest ideas are born and implemented.
The priority of innovations in the city policy and the outstanding qualifications of Moscow, specialists are the key factors in the development of high technologies, services, and products. Moreover, in recent years, Moscow has become a gravity center for talented people not only from Russia and Eastern Europe but from all over the world. Such concentration of professionals and the high level of local companies affirm Moscow as one of the global “cities of the future”, a world center for the development of breakthrough technologies, particularly in IT.
Moscow is a city where talented people can fulfill their potential, a city where companies from all over the world can develop successful super technologies of the future.
Key facts about Moscow:
- $40 bln – the budget of Moscow, of which 15% goes to innovation.
- $12 bln – spending for Smart City projects in 2012−2021.
- 8,000,000 citizens use Moscow e-gov services.
- 1st worldwide in e-government development (UN E-Government Survey, 2018).
- 4,500 startups based in Moscow (2019).
- 2nd worldwide in talent (Global Startup Ecosystem Ranking, 2015).
- 2nd in the world in Human capital and lifestyle (FDI, Financial Times, 2018).
- 170 coworking spaces. 66% are new (opened in 2016−2018).
- 45 accelerators (2019).
- $250 billion raised Skolkovo technopark, Moscow’s most prominent incubator.
- 10th in the world in innovative potential (A.T. Kearney Global Cities Outlook, 2017).
- 6 World-known IT companies based in Moscow: Kaspersky Lab, InfoWatch, ABBYY, Yandex, Acronis, Mail.ru Group.
- 42 R&D centers of global IT companies located in Moscow: Dell, Philips, Intel, Microsoft, Samsung, Boeing, Deutsche Bank, etc.
- 6th place in the world in Academic resources (by # of researchers).
- $3,1 bln – the volume of software export from Moscow (2017). 160,000 IT-developers.
- 2nd best developers in the world (Hacker Rank, 2017).
- 82 000 ICT students in 40 universities (2018). 5th place in the world in cities readiness for the future in Cities Readiness Rating (PWC, 2017).
- 8th place in the world in Cities with direct international flights and quantity of passengers (2017).